Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Budget Deficit? Think Environment.

Hi, I'm Daniella Pineda, Economic Edge Fellow for the summer and guest blogger. You'll notice from my weekly posts that I'm into the environment and animals. Cuddly ones. I graduated this spring from Mills College in Sociology and Radio Journalism, so you'll also hear me on KALW. 

For new graduates like myself who often perceive the current economy as a 90’s decade cemetery, green jobs might be the way to go, especially when it comes to looking for work in a state with a massive budget deficit. 

A recent study by UC Berkeley and Mills College professor David Roland-Holst says clean energy could significantly reduce California’s budget deficit, and create 500,000 jobs in the process.

One of those jobs could be at “
Build it Green,” which trains and certifies people to become “green home” inspectors. That is, you visit homes and asses how green friendly they are, and what homeowners can do to make them more so. According to many, the pay is not too bad. The more green a home is, the more the property value goes up. So It’s true, Green is money.


No comments: